Sunday, January 13, 2013

Slow Days Estranged

Now really, I can probably listen to field recordings all day, I think ambient music as well as early experimental and minimalism have brought me to the point where I could listen to a note for 20 min and not be annoyed. Good thing or bad? I dunno... The whole point that Cage and other concrete musicians were; To challenge the conventional music. To break the musicality in it all together, at least in the conventional senses. They focus more to the aspects of sounds that the conventional was not(orchestrated non recorded sound), and only when we had the technology to do so, did it opens doors to many more ways to manipulate these sounds.

Now here is a piece by the french born composer Luc Ferrari, primarily a music concrete composer, works from the 60s-00s. This piece, called 'Hétérozygote', a tape piece, he blends ambient environmental sounds together to form a really spacious feeling work. I really enjoy the use of panning in this particular piece, and it really feels space age...




No comments:

Post a Comment